Monday, January 27, 2014

Pie Club Week 19: Strawberry Rhubarb

Week 19 was Strawberry Rhubarb, definitely a classic.

I am so lucky to have friends who grow fresh rhubarb in their yards! Rhubarb is so easy to grow, and it can be harvested once in early summer and again in the fall. This is a pie that I have made many times over the last few years, and I love my recipe! I always look forward to making this pie while the ingredients are in season. I use a double pate brisee, lattice top crust, strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, salt, cornstarch and orange zest. The orange zest adds a lovely bright note to the flavors.

For some reason, I do not seem to have any pictures of this pie. Most people are familiar with strawberry rhubarb. It is a perfect combination of sweet and sour, and one of the best flavors of summer. I filled quite a few orders for this pie, and everyone gave me excellent feed back. I also love to make rhubarb jam, a rhubarb sauce for meat and rhubarb butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment