Monday, January 27, 2014

Pie Club Week 21: Watermelon

Week 21 was watermelon pie. Yep, watermelon pie! I had heard of watermelon pie before, and it peaked my interest, but when I researched it, all of the recipes I read used watermelon jello, watermelon cubes suspended in creamy concoctions or were made with watermelon rind. None of this interested me, and I wanted to use fresh watermelon, with true flavor instead of a sugary, candy flavor version or extract.

I decided to use fresh watermelon juice, with gelatin to create a cool, simple, creamy pie and decorated it to look like a watermelon with green whipped cream and chocolate chips. 


I thought it turned out really cute, was obvious what flavor it was. Also, I was happy with the flavor I was able to achieve with the use of simple ingredients. I used a graham cracker crust, and simply added sugar, gelatin, lemon juice and cream. Watermelon has a delicate flavor, so the flavor in this pie was not very strong, but i thought it was refreshing and perfect with just the right amount of sweetness. The cream added to the flavor and gave a silky mouth feel. The little bit of chocolate from the chips was also a great combination. 


I always try to use the smallest amount of gelatin that I can, while still achieving the set I want, and it turned out perfect. I do not think this pie would be for everyone, but I will make it again! I think it would be fun and perfect for a BBQ or picnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment